Archive for the ‘Initiative & Leadership’ Category
“Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy.”
~ Wayne Gretzky
Every leader has the habit of making decisions quickly and changing them very slowly.
The majority of people that fail to provide sufficiently for their needs are generally easily influenced by the opinion of others. They permit the newspapers, television, radio, and the the thoughts of others to speak into their lives without discretion. Being easily influenced by the opinions of others will kill any desire you may have.
Learn to keep your own counsel of people that are in complete sympathy and harmony with your purpose. Seek their advice but come to your own conclusions and follow up immediately with ACTION.
“The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.”
If you need facts or information from other people, get the information quickly and discreetly. It is a shield from potential negative and from people that set out to defeat you because they envy you.
A general rule of thumb, “keep a closed mouth and open ears and eyes.”
Those that make decisions promptly and decisively usually get what they want because they know EXACTLY what they want.
Defeating procrastination takes real courage but those that are willing to live by their purpose have the world in their hands.
“You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
~ Martin Luther King Jr.
Affirmations for Procrastination
- Do It Now!
- I am decisive
- I stand firmly by my decisions
|UNWAVERING COURAGE based upon knowledge of self, and of one’s occupation. No follower wishes to be dominated by a leader who lacks self-confidence and courage. No intelligent follower will be dominated by such a leader very long.|
|SELF-CONTROL. The man who cannot control himself, can never control others. Self-control sets a mighty example for one’s followers, which the more intelligent will emulate.|
|A KEEN SENSE OF JUSTICE. Without a sense of fairness and justice, no leader can command and retain the respect of his followers.|
|DEFINITENESS OF DECISION. The man who wavers in his decisions, shows that he is not sure of himself. He cannot lead others successfully.|
|DEFINITENESS OF PLANS. The successful leader must plan his work, and work his plan. A leader who moves by guesswork, without practical, definite plans, is comparable to a ship without a rudder. Sooner or later he will land on the rocks.|
|THE HABIT OF DOING MORE THAN PAID FOR. One of the penalties of leadership is the necessity of willingness, upon the part of the leader, to do more than he requires of his followers.|
|A PLEASING PERSONALITY. No slovenly, careless person can become a successful leader. Leadership calls for respect. Followers will not respect a leader who does not grade high on all of the factors of a Pleasing Personality.|
|SYMPATHY AND UNDERSTANDING. The successful leader must be in sympathy with his followers. Moreover, he must understand them and their problems.|
|MASTERY OF DETAIL. Successful leadership calls for mastery of details of the leader’s position.|
|WILLINGNESS TO ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY. The successful leader must be willing to assume responsibility for the mistakes and the shortcomings of his followers. If he tries to shift this responsibility, he will not remain the leader. If one of his followers makes a mistake, and shows himself incompetent, the leader must consider that it is he who failed.|
|COOPERATION. The successful leader must understand, and apply the principle of cooperative effort and be able to induce his followers to do the same. Leadership calls for POWER, and power calls for COOPERATION.|
Forming and Maintaining a Mastermind Group
Instructions by Napoleon Hill
- The first step is to adopt a Definite Purpose as an objective to be attained by the alliance, choosing individual members whose education, experience and influence are such as to make them of the greatest value in achieving that purpose.
- There isn’t any use in forming a Master Mind Alliance just to have someone to chat with. It will soon play out if you don’t have a strong motive behind it, and it’s up to you to plant that motive in the minds of the group members.
- Your allies for this group should be chosen for their ability to help you get to where you are going. Do not choose people simply because you know them and like them. I have found out by experience that merely because you like a person is no reason whatsoever to have him as a member of your economic Master Mind Alliance. It is all right to have such a person in your social or purely personal alliance, where his contribution may simply be this very friendship you appreciate.
- You should make a careful analysis of your purpose and list the items you will need for its attainment and then systematically go about supplying the links with which to forge the chain. Each member of the alliance should make some definite, distinctive, unique contribution to the over all picture.
- In making your selection of allies for this economic group, you may have to be a little “cold blooded” at first. It is no easy job to select the right members. You may have to choose and eliminate until you get the right ones. This is costly in time and money. You should be guided in your choice by the things you need which you do not already have. If it is money you need to finance the deal, you must find a person who has the money to invest. No matter what nice people you know who would like to work with you, if they don’t have any money they cannot really make the particular contribution to the alliance you need. No-you must find a person with the money and cultivate his willingness to cooperate, by showing him the opportunities to make a profit from the investment.
- Of course, you don’t take the first person who answers the major requirement, unless he also possesses the other necessary attributes. The qualifications of membership in a Master Mind Alliance are very exacting. Consider each candidate for membership in the light of his ability, his personality, and his willingness to cooperate with you. I cannot overemphasize the necessity for harmony, if it is going to be a successful organization.
- Determine what appropriate benefit each member may receive in return for his cooperation in the alliance. At this point review the nine basic motives which I termed the alphabet of success. Base your appeals for cooperation on one or more of these motives. I can tell you ahead of time which motive will have the greatest appeal and I’ll bet you can guess it yourself.
- You’re right! It’s the desire for material wealth, or profit. If you make a profit, be willing to divide it with those who help you. Be not only fair, but generous with them, and the more generous you are with them, the more help you will get from them. Remember the principle of going the extra mile. What a pity that not all businessmen know about that! One of my purposes in life is to see that they learn about it.
- Establish a definite place where the members of the alliance will meet, have a definite plan, and arrange a definite time for the mutual discussion of the plan. You will recall the importance of a plan in connection with your Definite Major Purpose. Well, this is the time and place to reveal that plan to those who are your friends and harmonious associates, who will have a community of interest in the success of the venture. You may think your plan is very good, but before you get through discussing it with your allies you will undoubtedly modify it until you hit upon the perfect plan.
- When you have established rapport between your mind ant he minds of others in your Master Mind Alliance, you will find that ideas will flow into the minds of each of the members and likewise into your own mind. When the Master Mind is in effect, it produces ideas that would not come to your mind alone. I have had that experience many times when sitting in on the many groups of which I am a member on a consulting basis.
- The Round Table discussion will be the place where everyone meets, and where each member may speak with confidence. They all see what’s on the table. You have no secrets in such a group, which results from the care with which you select members.
- It is important that frequent and regular contacts be made between the members. Indefiniteness on this point, or utter neglect, will bring defeat. You must keep in almost continuous contact with the other minds of the group if you are to get the full benefit of them. Meetings should be scheduled often, and telephone numbers exchanged, so that it is possible within a few minutes to discuss any sudden development with the group.
- It is the burden of the leader of the alliance to see that harmony among all the members is maintained and that action is continuous in the pursuance of the Definite Major Objective. Action or work is the connecting link between desire, plan, and fulfillment.
- The watchword of the alliance should be Definiteness of Purpose, Positiveness of Plan, backed by continuous perfect harmony. The major strength of such an alliance consists in the perfect blending of the mind of all members. Jealousy, envy or friction, as well as lagging of interest on the part of any member, will bring defeat unless he is removed at once.
- The number of Individuals in an alliance should be governed entirely by the nature and magnitude of the purpose to be attained. If you are going after a purpose comparable to that of Mr. Edison’s you will require a large number of persons with special talents and training. A lesser undertaking will call for a correspondingly smaller group. In general, it is better to have as few members as possible, because it will be that much easier to maintain harmony among them. Quite often a man will need only a really cooperative alliance with his wife in order to achieve the purpose he feels inspired to achieve.
- If a man cannot find that harmony which I have mentioned as being desirable between man and wife, it is possible for a man to form a purely economic alliance with a woman other than a wife.
Nobody has ever accomplished anything, never created anything, never devised any plans or developed a definite chief aim without the use of imagination ! Everything ever created or built was first mentally visioned, through imagination. In this philosophy you learn through your imagination to take old, well-known ideas or concepts, or parts of ideas, and combine them with still other old ideas, and out of that combination create something that seems to be new. This is the major process of invention… Ideas are valuable in any business, and the one who strikes out to cultivate the power of imagination, out of which ideas are born, will sooner or later find himself headed toward financial success backed with tremendous power.
Thomas Edison is a perfect example. It was a known fact that light could be created by applying electrical energy to wire, to heat it to a white heat. The problem was how to control the heat. After years of thinking Edison remembered the method of burning charcoal. He finally understood that cutting off oxygen to a heat source would keep it completely from burning up. With this knowledge in mind, Edison created a vacuum tube and placed it over the wire. This is your modern light bulb.
To cultivate your imagination so it will eventually trigger ideas on its own initiative you must keep a record of all useful, ingenious, and practical ideas, you see in use in other lines of work outside of your occupation. I would recommend a pocket sized moleskin or index cards.
This procedure is practical because it has been followed successfully by some of the best known leaders and business leaders.
“Everything you can imagine is real”
~ Pablo Picasso
The dreamer who creates practical ideas must place back of these ideas:
It is your business to succeed in life and yours alone! How you define success is your call.
Anyone who can create plans and ideas that will cause the number of patrons of any business to constantly increase, and who is able to send all the patrons away satisfied, is well on his way to success. Regardless of the venture.
“You Can If You Believe You Can!”
The entire seventeen lessons harmonize and blend with each other so that they constitute a perfect chain that has been built, link by link, out of the factors that enter into the development of power through organized effort.
Leadership is something that you must invite yourself into; it will never thrust itself upon you. If you will carefully analyze all leaders whom you know, you will see that they not only exercised initiative but they also went about their work with a definite chief aim possessed by self-confidence.
In these lessons you are taught to secure your definite chief plan and lay out a complete plan to turn this aim into reality. Then backed by confidence, take initiative to put your plan into action. Organize a master mind that in harmony, promotes the interests of everyone in the group.
“There is no security on this Earth, there is only opportunity” – General Douglas MacArthur
I was going through some of my old links and I came across this gem of an article from Psychology Today. This is a great article that profiles a few of the greatest leaders the world has seen and looks at the research done to find the source of their great Charisma. This article lists 4 qualities that the most charismatic men and women all possess a great amount of. Let’s discuss
Continue Reading »
It does wonders to wish all those around you health, happiness, peace, promotion, wealth and all the blessings that life has to offer. As you do this you will at the same time reap these same blessings upon yourself. Remember that it is a universal law that like attracts like and what you sow, you also shall reap.
Your thoughts are creative; so, it only makes logical sense to control your own thoughts to radiate gratitude and all of the blessings in life upon everyone.
Love is the law of health, happiness, peace, prosperity, and of joyous and successful living. This love produces harmony, health, peace, kindness, joy, honesty, integrity, justice, and laughter.
Right now is the time to begin radiating this attitude upon everyone you contact with. So do you want more success and happiness? If you persistently and consistently think positive thoughts for the people you come into contact with, the universe will respond in kind.The impact you can have on yourself and the people around you is amazing. Are you making the most of this law today?
You are the Man who used to boast
that you’d achieve the uttermost,
some day.You merely wished to show,
to demonstrate how much you know
and prove the distance you can go..Another year we’ve just passed through.
What new ideas came to you?
How many big things did you do?
Time left twelve fresh months in your care
how many of them did you share
with opportunity and dare
again where you so often missed?
We do not find you on the list of makers good.
explain the fact!
Ah No, ‘Twas not the chance you lacked!
As usual – you failed to act!
Lesson 1 – Introduction to The Master Mind
“You can do it if you believe you can!”
“Time is a master worker that heals the wounds of temporary defeat and equalizes the inequalities and rights the wrongs of the world. There is nothing impossible with time!”
Continue Reading »